Equality and diversity, or multiculturalism, is the idea of promoting and accepting the differences between people. More specifically, equality is about ensuring individuals are treated fairly and equally, no matter their race, gender, age, disability, religion or sexual orientation.
Diversity is about recognising and respecting these differences to create an all-inclusive atmosphere. Promoting equality and diversity at Ormiston Park Academy is essential for both teachers and students.
The aim is to create a classroom environment where all students can thrive together and understand that individual characteristics make people unique, and not ‘different’ in a negative way.
How equality and multiculturalism are promoted at Ormiston Park Academy
- We have a clear policy on how people should be treated.
- Challenging any negative attitudes, using our behaviour policy.
- Treating all staff and students fairly and equally.
- Creating an all-inclusive culture for staff and students.
- Using resources with multicultural themes.
- Actively promoting multiculturalism in lessons.
- Planning lessons that reflect the diversity of the classroom.
- Ensuring all students have equal access to opportunities and participation.
- Using a variety of teaching methods.
- Using a variety of assessment methods.
- Ensuring policies and procedures don’t discriminate against anyone.
You can read our Equality Statement here, and our Equality Policy is available to download from the Policies page of this website.