English Language GCSE is mandatory for admission to almost all jobs and courses with the majority of courses expecting a grade 5 or above. The skills assessed as part of GCSE English Language will prepare students for a wide range of future career paths and will complement and support the study of all subjects across the curriculum. Students studying for a GCSE in English Language can expect to develop and improve their skills in the following areas:
Students will expect to develop a range of skills by studying the English Language such as:
- Developing reading and writing skills.
- Reading and enjoying a variety of short texts from the C19th and C20th
and developing the ability to understand implicit and explicit meanings in
- Developing a critical understanding of non-fiction texts.
- The ability to discuss a wide range of topics.
- The ability to analyse language and text structures and how writers
- The ability to evaluate and compare writers’ ideas and viewpoints.
- The ability to write texts for different genres, audiences and purposes.
- The ability to understand grammar, punctuation and spelling.